Sunday 17 March 2013

Just my cup of tea.


It's all about tea.


I think if anyone was asked to describe me I think the fact that I love tea would always crop up. Tea is a central part of my life which may sound bizarre I know. I was introduced to tea from a toddler when my mom and dad used to give me a milky tea in my bottle - and the rest is history! It is such a feature of my everyday life and I would say on average I have about 8 cups a day. 

For me having a cup of tea is such a simple thing but yet brings so much contentment. It is a central part of my friendships and family life. Often when arranging to see friends we suggest popping round to each other’s to have a cuppa. It is something which doesn't involve spending money but you can have a natter and spend quality time together.

And that's what I love about tea - it brings people together. Even on TV adverts and programmes you often see people having a brew especially during emotional times. It is a social event and one which I intend to keep going with family and friends. 






A traditional brew
In my opinion a traditional cup of tea takes a lot of beating. Some of my favourite brands of standard tea are Twinning’s, PJ Tips and Yorkshire. I am quite fussy about what tea-bags I use at home but I guess it's like anything in life you know what you prefer and you usually stick to it ( I realise I am sounding like a proper granny right now!)

Green tea
Whilst at Uni I ventured into trying other types of tea mainly to help detoxify myself after all the alcohol I consumed! During this time I really got into green tea after being recommended it by one of my housemates. I must admit at first I did find it very peculiar but after drinking it for a while I grew to really like it. The trick with green tea is not to over brew it as it can lead to a very bitter taste. As well as containing anti-oxidants it is very refreshing and has been suggested to aid weight loss. I also read that it helps in the digestion of greasy food so it is good to drink after a take-away!

Peppermint tea
If you are prone to tummy complaints such a bloating or IBS then I would really recommend peppermint tea. Before being diagnosed with coeliac disease I suffered with terrible tummy pains and bloating and I found that drinking peppermint tea helped with these symptoms. The peppermint oil found in this tea has a soothing effect on the gut so give it a whirl to ease any tummy complaints.

Fruit tea 
I have yet to really get into drinking fruit tea despite having tried many flavours. For Christmas last year my sister bought me a Whittard's instant tea selection which contains 5 different flavours of fruit tea. I'm going to give the fruit teas another shot and I am especially looking forward to the Turkish apple tea as I really got into it after my many family holidays to Turkey. In this selection is also a dream time tea which I have tried before when I was having a phase where I wasn't sleeping very well. This tea has an aquired taste but I really like it :) Give it a go as an alternative to a brew before bed to help you to push up those z's.

Fruit tea selection

I honestly believe that there is a tea out there for everyone and you never know unless you try them all. So get your kettles at the ready and get brewing. 

Happy tea drinking!
Tilly x
 


 







No comments:

Post a Comment