Wednesday 16 October 2013

The Falling Leaves.



So the start of winter is upon us. The leaves are slowly falling from the trees, that wintery nip is becoming noticeable and the shops are now stocking Halloween and Christmas items. Not forgetting people moaning about the cold – myself included.
 
Most people have a preferred season but I appreciate them all for the different events, fashions and food they bring. Winter means swapping BBQ’s for stew, sandals for boots, shorts for thermals and so much more! I’m writing this blog entry with the view to looking forward to the things I have planned or are planning to do in the months ahead. For me a staple of winter is going to the German market in Birmingham and of course having an obligatory glass of mulled wine. The atmosphere is always so festive and Christmassy and if you come away not in the festive spirit then you are definitely a scrooge! 
 
This month marks my little sister turning 19 and what better way to spend it than to visit it her in Derby where she is at University. We are having a night on the town freshers style! I have to say I’m looking forward to reliving my freshers days. We are also getting a piercing done on the Saturday although I’m not too sure what I’m going to get. I’m very impulsive like that- I usually decide on the day. I also have my birthday coming up in November. I want to do something different this year and have proposed a trip to Glastonbury. I’m desperate to buy some tarot cards and to experience the quirkiness that Glasto is renown for. I am also planning a joint night out with one of my besties which true to form should be a wild night!
 
At the end of November I am off to the BBC winter Good Food Show to experience the culinary delights that the festive season has to offer. I went last year and wasn’t disappointed. My favourite parts of the day had to be the live cooking demonstrations, seeing celebrity chefs, the local produce stands and of course the free samples! If you’ve never been then I highly recommend it. They also had a Dove’s farm and a Genius food stand for all you gluten/wheat free people! I made the most of getting some gluten free goodies at a bargain price!
 
And of course there’s the Christmas holiday! As I’m not religious, for me Christmas is a winter holiday to be shared with friends, family, good food and drink. The highlights of the Christmas period are definitely Christmas Eve, Christmas day and New Years Eve – not only for the feel good atmosphere but the excuse to pig out on festive treats, watch rubbish Christmas television and spend time with loved ones. And of course having an advent calendar! 

All this talk of Christmas is getting me into a premature festive mood so I will draw this blog entry to a close. Winter is always better if you look on the bright side and have things planned which you can look forward to. So if you haven’t already get planning!

Tilly x

No comments:

Post a Comment